Saturday, February 14, 2009

Evolving Taste...

Right now I am on the cusp of Spring, yet not ready to leave the deliciously grey days of Winter.


Here are a few of my favorite things. Its so inspiring to watch your own taste/style evolve over time.



I am hopelessly in love with the color grey. I want a room in my house painted in the silvery, mysterious shade of grey. It is a very neutral color and is easy to pair with a pop of color, such as blue, red, or pink. This French bathroom is just dreamy... The old, rusty clawfoot bathtub is just perfection.



Even though I love grey, I am ready to see splashes of color here and there. Daffodils are one of my absolute favorite flowers of all times. As a little girl, I loved them only because they bloomed faithfully on my birthday and I always thought it was so special that they only bloomed for me. Now, I love them because they're such a cheerful, tough flower that can live virtually anywhere.


I will fully admit that I have never been the girly, frilly type. But... Ive noticed that my style has been slowly evolving and I do appreciate the occasional jolt of feminine color. Over the last few years, Ive come to love Peonies. They're such an old fashioned flower and remind me of Grandma J. My particular favorite is the big, frilly pink Peony. They're so full, yet delicate. It would make a world of difference if I had a simple bouquet of frilly pink Peonies on my desk everyday.



I am very well known to be an organized person, almost to the point where I'm anal. While it is nice to be organized and clean, Ive come to appreciate organized chaos. I love these wire baskets that are organized according to color. I can fully envision these baskets in my future office and/or craft room. My style has evolved from strictly organized (where you cannot see the materials) to a open, visual system where you can see the textures and colors of the objects I own. The more things that I see, the more inspired I am to create beautiful things.


I will gladly admit that much of my taste has evolved since my trip to France. It was a truly eye-opening, life-changing journey. Much of what I saw in that country has a very simple, beautiful yet practical approach. For example, these bundles of lavender are simply wrapped with kraft paper and tied together with twine. So simple and beautiful, yet practical.




Speaking of simplicity... Ive come to really appreciate the old villas that we saw in France. The buildings are typically built from stone and they have stood for thousands of years. They have a beautiful, irresistable patina that lends to its character. While I probably will not find something like this in America, I can still apply the concept to my future garden. Can you see it? A small stone wall with a large old tree and a few pink, frilly peony bushes?


Isn't this paper Eiffel Tower just adorable? I thought it was a very appropriate picture to put on my blog considering today is Valentine's Day. This would be a cute centerpiece to create for a table. Instead of placing an engagement ring in the center, a small single flower or a piece of candy would be ideal for a party.

As you can see, Ive come to really appreciate softer colors, old objects with patina, and simple objects that can found just about everywhere. I should adopt this concept and apply it to my life on a daily basis in terms of my attitude and perception. If I can view the world a bit softer, with character and simplicity, there would be less stress... don't you think?

No comments: