
On this chilly Saturday afternoon, I am curled up on the couch with Sam sleeping at my feet and Sarah Jane curled up in my lap. I had a sudden thought about "home." What makes your house a home? Your home is your special fort, so to speak. It is your special place that reflects your taste, style and personality. No two forts are alike.
For example, from an outsider's perspective, the couch in our living room may seem to be ugly, mismatched and worn down. While the couch is all these things, its still a place of sanctuary for me. It has two twin flannel sheets, one of Grandma J's quilts, Grandma Mercer's quilt and two mismatched comfy pillows on it. It is very crumpled and cozy, but it is a nest, so to speak. While the back cushions were put away a long time ago (thanks to Miss Rosie's little teeth as a 6 month old puppy), it now has regular pillows in flannel pillowcases in its place. The various layers of blankets and quilts offer warmth as needed. You will find me curled up under one of the quilts with a dog at my feet and a cat in my lap on a daily basis. This is where I go to unwind and relax after a long day at work. This is where I curl up for a nap if I am not feeling well. This is where I go to catch up on my favorite shows or read a good book. It is my fort.
I can see myself making a little tent or a fort for our future child in his/her bedroom. I hope that he/she will have a special space in the bedroom to curl up with a book, to coax a dog or a cat into for some cuddle time, or just to escape into a world of imagination. It is such a cozy, comforting feeling knowing that such a place awaits you.

No comments:
Post a Comment