Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year Resolution

My apologies for being lax regarding my blog recently. I had a very difficult month in December, professionally and personally. Im happy to report that it is the NEW YEAR, so I am off to a clean start. While there is nothing I can do about my job situation but to go along with it and hope it doesnt last too long, Ive decided that I can indeed take ownership for the other areas in my life. Ive decided that one of my New Year's Resolution is to buy a house in 2009.

I'm happy to announce that I am pre-approved! Thats one step closer to buying my first house!

Last weekend, I met with my Realtor and he showed me 7 properties. I had a great time and it gave me an opportunity to see what kind of houses are within my price range and it gave my Realtor the chance to get a better idea of what I am looking for in a house. We did find one house that fit all of my criteria. It is an adorable brick bungalow with hardwood floors and charm/character galore. I think it is very much a "Hollie" house.

BUT.... of course there is a but. The kitchen is a bit odd in terms of its layout. The current owner restored it to its original kitchen, complete with its original 1920s porcelain sink that is approximately 6 feet long! I dont think its a functional kitchen for me since I want counterspace to do my cooking and baking on. Currently there is NO counterspace.

Here is what it looks like:

And here is the floor plan that I hastily drew:



Any ideas of what I could do if I were to buy this house? Maybe put the long sink in the basement? Install a regular sink with the dishwasher inside the nook instead, which would give me some counter space? Maybe a butcher top island in the middle of the room? A narrow table below the windows?

Any suggestions?

Here is a peek in the rest of the house, which I love:



See what I mean by charm/character galore? All original hardwood floors, built-in cabinets in both living room and dining room, stained glass windows, etc. Its a very pretty, cozy house. It is going on my list but I will continue to look and see what else is out there for me.

1 comment:

auntjulie said...

O.K. Hollie, Why not put a row of bottom cabinets with counter top under the row of windows in the kitchen and an island (if it's big enough. Leave the sink, though! What a treasure!

I love the living room and dining built ins. That's one of the few things we don't have in our house and wish we did.

What about the bedrooms. How many are there? How many bathrooms? Is the yard big? Do you have an upstairs?